Bugday's Integration

Added by Daniel Felix over 1 year ago

Hi community,

we're currently on the way to clean the bugtracker. Currently Redmine has more than 3800 open issues, which is fairly to much for 13 contributors - where not every on is active on a regular base.
If we divide thos issues by maybe 7 active contributors, we have more than 540 issues per person. This is quite too much stuff to handle!

My idea would be some kind of bugday's.

What's the idea behind bugday's?

Bugday's will be one or two days in each month, where the community comes together to beat down the open issues. These bugday's help the core developers to reduce the administrative work and gain the necessary feedback for integrated new features or resolved bugs.

How will the Bugday planned and organized?

This event will be planned with some fixed start- and endtime. During this time, there's minimum one contributor online, which will coordinate and moderate this event.
The community will get some chat channel (maybe IRC) to communicate with the team and start crawling the bugtracker by different criterias.
Criterias could be:
  • Issues with status "Needs Feedback" or "Resolved"
  • Old issues, which haven't any feedback.
  • Issues which have some kind of patch attached
  • Issues which have unsupported versions as affected version
  • Feature requests by categorie
  • Special searchterms

If some user needs help to test a bug or feature, he could request this in the chat channel. The community will help him with his tests or patches.

After this event, we provide some kind of report, which contains resolved tickets, confirmed or invalidated issues. The team will test and evaluate provided patches and try to integrate them as fast as possible.

The team will need minimum one or two weeks for the cleanup and integration.

Why should I contribute?

If you don't know, why you should contribute to these days and spent one or two hours in a week, we'll provide you some good reasons:
  • Redmine is a OpenSource system, which lives from donations and community support. Everyone who is using Redmine benefits from new features or corrected bugs.
  • The most systems, which could be compared to Redmine, costs many thousands of euros. Redmine is provided free of charge.
  • You save many hours a week/month by using Redmine in your company. With more features or lesser bugs, you'll save even more time and money!

How can I contribute?

You can provide your help with different tasks.
  • Test and evaluate bugs
  • Check feature requests if they are unique, if not provide the corresponding issue id
  • Check feature requests if they are already integrated/solved or could be resolved by some configuration changes
  • Provide patches for bugs/feature requests
  • Check provided patches on the currently supported releases
  • Check the current supported releases for bugs
  • Discuss on feature requests, which are marked as hot topics in the bugday event
  • Or even, donate for some features/bugs

Please give some Feedback on this topic, I would be very happy if we could introduce these days.

Best regards,
Daniel Felix

Replies (61)

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Ivan Cenov about 1 year ago

#2048: Code Review Module

There is a plugin http://www.redmine.org/plugins/codereview In my opinion it is very good and I propose #2048 to be closed.

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Ivan Cenov about 1 year ago

#2184: Command line ticket creation?

On Redmine's side REST API for creating issues is available. In my opinion #2184 could be closed....?

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Daniel Felix about 1 year ago

Hi there,

Maybe you can check the patches on #12730 and its relations. Do they still clean apply to the current trunk? Maybe they could get included.

I can't check them currently (at hospital).

Best regards,
Daniel

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Daniel Felix about 1 year ago

Ivan Cenov wrote:

#2184: Command line ticket creation?

On Redmine's side REST API for creating issues is available. In my opinion #2184 could be closed....?

Closed. And some of your other reported issues are closed too. Thanks.

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Max Horn about 1 year ago

I just discovered this thread and I really like the idea. In fact, I was not so long ago thinking that there are so many open but already resolved or outdated issues, and that it would be nice if there was a way to somehow flag them...

As it is, the many open but outdated issues distract from the real beef. I am afraid that if I post a solution of suggestion or even a patch on an older issue report, it will just drown in the sea...

So, I'll be happy to report closable issues here as I see them.

PS: I would suggest starting to find closable issues by first looking at those which were last commented on several years ago.

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Daniel Felix about 1 year ago

Hi,

Thanks for your help. This will help us!

Just as a idea...
Comment with detailed informations on the issue itself.
Give here a post after you've checked them with links (# notation).

I will recheck them and close or update them accordingly. M
If you find some bundles which could be resolved together, just give this hint. Maybe they could be solved together in one turn. Which would be fairly more efficient.

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Dipan Mehta about 1 year ago

I have commented on the issue: #11056 actually works but but is a peculiar behavior.

If this is as per the expected behavior, the issue can be closed.

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Max Horn about 1 year ago

Two candidates for closure:

Patch #730: Patch for #728 (display update timestamp outside yellow ticket)
=> issue #728 was rejected, so this could be closed

Patch #1022: Patch for #1003
=> issue #1003 was just rejected by Daniel ;-)

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Max Horn about 1 year ago

Perhaps also this:

Defect #3496: "Assign To" filter on "View all issues" page allows to select user which cannot be assigned

Defect #8935: Password reset is required before a user can login after upgrading from 0.9.1 to 1.2.1
=> this is (a) outdated, and (b) it was not reproducible and the author also suggested that he made a mistake.

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Ivan Cenov about 1 year ago

#5306: Separation of core and Redmine plugins

This issue is outdated. Should be closed.

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Daniel Felix about 1 year ago

Max Horn wrote:

Perhaps also this:

Defect #3496: "Assign To" filter on "View all issues" page allows to select user which cannot be assigned

Defect #8935: Password reset is required before a user can login after upgrading from 0.9.1 to 1.2.1
=> this is (a) outdated, and (b) it was not reproducible and the author also suggested that he made a mistake.

Both were closed. Thanks for the feedback!

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Ivan Cenov about 1 year ago

#5303: Add spent_hours to /issues/index API

I feel that the author of the issue needs http://www.redmine.org/projects/redmine/wiki/Rest_TimeEntries and it is already implemented. If this is true, #5303 could be closed.

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Daniel Felix about 1 year ago

Ivan Cenov wrote:

#5306: Separation of core and Redmine plugins

This issue is outdated. Should be closed.

Closed. Thanks for the feedback!

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Daniel Felix about 1 year ago

Ivan Cenov wrote:

#5303: Add spent_hours to /issues/index API

I feel that the author of the issue needs http://www.redmine.org/projects/redmine/wiki/Rest_TimeEntries and it is already implemented. If this is true, #5303 could be closed.

Set to needs feedback. Will be closed in 14 days if there is no feedback which says that this one couldn't be closed.

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Daniel Felix about 1 year ago

Max Horn wrote:

Perhaps also this:

Defect #3496: "Assign To" filter on "View all issues" page allows to select user which cannot be assigned

Defect #8935: Password reset is required before a user can login after upgrading from 0.9.1 to 1.2.1
=> this is (a) outdated, and (b) it was not reproducible and the author also suggested that he made a mistake.

All closed. Thanks for the feedback.

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Ivan Cenov about 1 year ago

#5381: Issues of a deleted project are not deleted

Tested just now: deleting project deletes its issues. Also tested with two projects with related issues:
P1x with issue i1
P1y with issue i2; i2 follows i1.

Deleted P1y, i2 was deleted too, the relation in i1 was deleted (right).

So, I feel that #5381 is a candidate for closing.

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Daniel Felix about 1 year ago

Ivan Cenov wrote:

#5381: Issues of a deleted project are not deleted

Tested just now: deleting project deletes its issues. Also tested with two projects with related issues:
P1x with issue i1
P1y with issue i2; i2 follows i1.

Deleted P1y, i2 was deleted too, the relation in i1 was deleted (right).

So, I feel that #5381 is a candidate for closing.

Were they deleted in the database too? Did you check this too? :-)

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Ivan Cenov about 1 year ago

Daniel Felix wrote:

Ivan Cenov wrote:

#5381: Issues of a deleted project are not deleted

Tested just now: deleting project deletes its issues. Also tested with two projects with related issues:
P1x with issue i1
P1y with issue i2; i2 follows i1.

Deleted P1y, i2 was deleted too, the relation in i1 was deleted (right).

So, I feel that #5381 is a candidate for closing.

Were they deleted in the database too? Did you check this too? :-)

Did not check... thanks, now checked: i1=#1940 is there, and i2=#1941 has gone after P1y. Checked P1y deletion - yes it is away.

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Daniel Felix about 1 year ago

Ivan Cenov wrote:

Did not check... thanks, now checked: i1=#1940 is there, and i2=#1941 has gone after P1y. Checked P1y deletion - yes it is away.

Thanks for the feedback. Documented everything on the issue. Issue is closed. Thanks for the issues!

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Ivan Cenov about 1 year ago

#5342: Add tracker information to projects in REST API

I think this is already implemented: http://www.redmine.org/projects/redmine/wiki/Rest_Projects

http://www.redmine.org/issues/5342#note-2

Another candidate for closure...

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Ivan Cenov about 1 year ago

#5470: Avoid duplicate issue creation

I commented in the issue: http://www.redmine.org/issues/5470#note-2

To close or not ... I don't know ...

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Ivan Cenov about 1 year ago

#5551: Unable to edit issue - Description field is blank and not written to database on submit

It seems this problem is specific to the author's Redmine instance. It has never happened in my practice. The issue is too old, related to ancient Redmine and in my opinion is a candidate for closure.

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Daniel Felix about 1 year ago

Ivan Cenov wrote:

#5551: Unable to edit issue - Description field is blank and not written to database on submit

It seems this problem is specific to the author's Redmine instance. It has never happened in my practice. The issue is too old, related to ancient Redmine and in my opinion is a candidate for closure.

I set this issue to needs feedback. I will close this issue next week if there is no feedback till then.
Thanks for the hint.

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Ivan Cenov about 1 year ago

#3494: Browser "Back" to issue list displays wrong filter

Similar to #5551, old Redmine, old Firefox. I commented in the issue http://www.redmine.org/issues/3494#note-14
A candidate for closure.

RE: Bugday's Integration - Added by Ivan Cenov about 1 year ago

#3398: List assigned issues to the specified user

I commented in the issue http://www.redmine.org/issues/3398#note-5 (this is solved by a plugin).
My opinion is to close this issue.

1 2 3 (26-50/61)