Hide public projects for specific roles

Added by Miodrag Milic over 3 years ago

We have bunch of projects in the company and several of them of interest to all employees are public so that anybody can post an issue there.

Now, we want to allow external consultants to access projects they are part of and I don't want them to see any projects they are not part of, including public ones. They are all under role "External Consultants". Its very hard for us to switch all public projects to private since our Redmine procedures are already defined with such projects in existence.

So, is there plugin or patch that will allow me to put external consultants to their projects and hide from them internal public projects ? For instance, permission under projects for a role such as "View public projects" that would be on by default would be one solution that plugin might provide.

Is there any other method to do this ? I initially thought of having second Redmine instance for consultants but we don't want to maintain that scenario, and furthermore, we don't want to have projects on 2 places (syncing is possible but adds another level of complexity).

Replies (5)

RE: Hide public projects for specific roles - Added by Pablo Cocko about 1 year ago

Hi Miodrag,

Have you found any solution?

thanks

Miodrag Milic wrote:

We have bunch of projects in the company and several of them of interest to all employees are public so that anybody can post an issue there.

Now, we want to allow external consultants to access projects they are part of and I don't want them to see any projects they are not part of, including public ones. They are all under role "External Consultants". Its very hard for us to switch all public projects to private since our Redmine procedures are already defined with such projects in existence.

So, is there plugin or patch that will allow me to put external consultants to their projects and hide from them internal public projects ? For instance, permission under projects for a role such as "View public projects" that would be on by default would be one solution that plugin might provide.

Is there any other method to do this ? I initially thought of having second Redmine instance for consultants but we don't want to maintain that scenario, and furthermore, we don't want to have projects on 2 places (syncing is possible but adds another level of complexity).

RE: Hide public projects for specific roles - Added by Miodrag Milic about 1 year ago

No, I have turned to solution where I hide all projects. Then I have mother project that contains all other for entire IT and all projects that need to be seen by everyone actually reuse IT members. So they become sort of public for them and hidden by default for non-IT members (external consultants).

RE: Hide public projects for specific roles - Added by Pablo Cocko about 1 year ago

I've finally developed a patch which hide public projects using permissions.

Here attached the patch.

RE: Hide public projects for specific roles - Added by Fabio Peruzzo 12 months ago

Hi Pablo and Miodrag,
in my company we have simialr issue: I would like to set all the project as Public, to allow all R&D users to share the information, but my manager would to hide them to external users that collaborate with us. External user should see only his project, or projects where he is member, but not the other.
Roughly my idea is to set non-member group in order that they can see project existance but not navigate inside it; in this way external user can see only projects he collaborates.
I wouldn't to switch all project to private, cause it requires also a big effort during maintenance and that hides info to people.

I'm interested in your patch: sincerely I don't know how to install it. Could you explain it?

Thanks
Fabio

RE: Hide public projects for specific roles - Added by Fabrice ROBIN 9 months ago

Hi,

Thank you for this patch. We had a similar issue to resolve.

We have also secured the direct access to project (via URL). You will find a revision patch attached.

Regards,
Fabrice

(1-5/5)