which REST API format (JSON or XML) will be supported in the future?
Redmine Java API library is using REST API's XML format. I could switch it to use Redmine's JSON API, but I need to know which data format is the "preferred" one and will be supported in the future.
- are you guys going to deprecate XML format and replace it with JSON?
- does JSON API support 100% of what the XML covers?
- do you test both JSON and XML APIs for all Redmine releases?
please, publish clarifications on the REST API policy on the Wiki.
RE: which REST API format (JSON or XML) will be supported in the future? - Added by Etienne Massip about 6 years ago
1. Redmine rely on formats supported by Rails and it is likely that both JSON and XML will be supported equally by Rails for long
2. I know there are some Rails 2.3 issues with JSON supporting collection so I'd recommend you to stick to XML until RM switches to Rails 3.X
3. No, I think that API tests (source:/trunk/test/integration/api_test) more usually run against XML format but it can differ from one test to the other