Your opinion on the best project management and version control combo for a startup.

Added by terry serg 8 months ago

Hi Folks,

The project is a SaaS all running on Linux machines. Currently there are about three devs and a system engineer but at this time they are free-balling it and not using any version control (shudder). I'm wondering what software combination you would recommend for project management and version control. We are at the point now where goals and dependancies are starting to branch and project management is becoming necessary.

My idea would be something like:

Project Management: Trello (although I checked out OpenProject) and [[https://modplus.pro/whatsapp-plus/]]

Version Control: gitea (using web hooks to a secondary backup gitea instance) [[https://openweb.onl/whatsapp-web/]]

I would prefer open-source of course but a free tier with upgrades later is OK too. Are there project management solutions that have git repos built in? Or are there git services that offer lightweight project management that have a decent free tier?

Replies (2)

RE: Your opinion on the best project management and version control combo for a startup. - Added by Bernhard Rohloff 8 months ago

As usual the right answer is: "It depends..."
The best solution is the one which works best for your team. And this depends heavily on your teams experience, environment and habits.

Here are some questions for you...

• How old/experienced are your comrades?
  • Are they open for new tools and methods?
  • Do you (or your team) have experience in project management?
  • What are the requirements for your version control system?
  • Which requirements do you have for your project management tool?
  • Is it important to access your PM tool from outside your office?

Perhaps a simple Kanban whiteboard and a bare git repo on your local server is all you need.
Concentrate on your product, not on your tools. ;-)

Kind regards,

Bernhard

RE: Your opinion on the best project management and version control combo for a startup. - Added by Matthew Paul 7 months ago

Terry,

Open Project is an offshoot of redmine, use that if you like a snazzy front end but...

I'm a huge fan of Redmine, personally. As a start, I would tend towards the plan.io folks, they do a great installation of redmine, with a nice front end. Then you can just use a private project in Github and link it directly into your plan.io instance as a repository. They will be able to tell you how to do all of that, and it's very inexpensive (not quite free but pretty close) to run.

I use redmine to run an IT dept for a $11B company, 380 people, 5 continents, etc. I have a lot of plugins, but it's easy to use and better (imho) than ServiceNow or Jira. Oh, and if you want to link it into other apps you can use Zapier to do that, very easy.

(1-2/2)