Mongrel problem during redmine upgrade to 0.9.2

Added by Mika Laitio almost 5 years ago

I have started using redmine since 0.8.3 and have updated it from 0.8.x branch periodically and lastly used 0.8.7.
Today I checked out from svn 0.9.x branch the 0.9.2 version and upgraded the system by using the docs in
http://www.redmine.org/wiki/redmine/RedmineUpgrade

Once I started mongrel in the end, it however refused to start due to following error: in logs/mongrel.log

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.3.5/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:440:in `load_missing_constant': uninitialized constant ActionController::AbstractRequest (NameError)
from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.3.5/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:80:in `const_missing'
from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel/rails.rb:151:in `rails'
from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/mongrel_rails:113:in `cloaker_'
from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel/configurator.rb:149:in `call'
from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel/configurator.rb:149:in `listener'
from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/mongrel_rails:99:in `cloaker_'
from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel/configurator.rb:50:in `call'
from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel/configurator.rb:50:in `initialize'
from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/mongrel_rails:84:in `new'
from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/mongrel_rails:84:in `run'
from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel/command.rb:212:in `run'
from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/mongrel_rails:281
from /usr/bin/mongrel_rails:19:in `load'
from /usr/bin/mongrel_rails:19

To get it working, I needed to add file redmine/config/initializers/mongrel_cluster_with_rails_23_fix.rb
with following content

module ActionController
class AbstractRequest < ActionController::Request
def self.relative_url_root=(path)
ActionController::Base.relative_url_root=(path)
end
def self.relative_url_root
ActionController::Base.relative_url_root
end
end
end

as suggested in http://bitnami.org/forums/forums/redmine/topics/redmine-fails-after-following-upgrade-guide-with-const_missing-mongrel-errors

Maybe it would be good idea to include this file by default in redmine 0.9.x branch?

Mika

Replies (3)

RE: Mongrel problem during redmine upgrade to 0.9.2 - Added by Gregor Bader almost 5 years ago

I had similar problem, but the above solution didn't worked.
So I researched a little bit and found the problem in the way I have upgraded my Redmine!
(copy old, extract new files over old files).

Unfortunately some files were just deprecated and remained in the directory
-> redmine-0.9.2/app/controllers/application.rb
Remove it and it is working.

regards,
Gregor

RE: Mongrel problem during redmine upgrade to 0.9.2 - Added by Carl Pef over 4 years ago

Hello,

I had the same issue when upgrading my bitnami installation (on Windows Server 2003) with the trunk version.

From what I understood, the bitnami installation was modified and you have
to follow the instructions given here : http://bitnami.org/article/how-to-backup-and-update-the-bitnami-redmine-stack

To sum up, you have to copy the following folder (with sub-folder) to your new install :
- apps/redmine/config
- apps/redmine/conf
- apps/redmine/scripts

Also, update your env variables with the content of scripts/setenv.bat : it will let
you use imageMagick, ruby, rake and stuff from the command line without warning (missing
magick core dll...).

Cheers,
B.

RE: Mongrel problem during redmine upgrade to 0.9.2 - Added by Jan Niggemann (redmine.org team member) over 1 year ago

Un-sticking this, mongrel is unmaintained, there are better alternatives (that even work with ruby > 1.9.2)

(1-3/3)