System locale used by redmine and the subversion browser
This is a short note to explain a problem I've found and its solution, maybe it could be useful to others.
When browsing a subversion repository if a folder name contains UTF-8 characters I can't browse the directory contents.
After looking at the redmine logs I found that my redmine's mongrel-cluster (which is running on a Debian GNU/Linux system) was using the C system locale, which uses the
ANSI_X3.4-1968 charmap, and the subversion client was unable to process the UTF-8 characters.
redmine under a system locale that supports UTF-8.
I'm using the
mongrel-cluster package that comes with Debian and my solution has been to create the
/etc/default/mongrel-cluster with the following content:
You can test if the locale is defined and works executing the command:
LANG=es_ES.utf-8 locale charmap
Note that if your system locale supports UTF-8 probably you don't need that, but on servers I usually leave the default locale as C and set it when needed.
RE: System locale used by redmine and the subversion browser - Added by Thomas Lecavelier over 13 years ago
Thanks for sharing your tip.
RE: System locale used by redmine and the subversion browser - Added by ray joseph almost 10 years ago
this solution helped me. Thank you