Redmine Wakeup takes about 10 seconds ... [SOLVED]

Added by Sim Rie almost 8 years ago

Hi Guys,

I was searching for something ... and I found redmine, which exactly is fitting my needs.
I have gone from testing to production (about 20 frequent users) and are very satisfied! Great tool.

There is just one issue, I have spent many hours in searching for the reason and could get no answer:

Environment: VPS, 1 GB RAM, Sufficient HDD, Debian, ISP-Config, no other services/websites besides redmine.

And that is what bothers me:
Whenever redmine was idle for a while (think about 20 minutes), it takes very long until its responding again. After its awake, it runs perfectly without any delay, until it falls asleep again. I have no idea about ruby and rails, guess its something there.
There is one log file in the log-folder, that just records who is doing what on redmine but nothing more.
RAM is not full, CPU is not jumping to 100% when waking up.

Any hint? Should I apply coffeine to Ruby? or to Rail?

Thanks guys !

Replies (8)

RE: Redmine Wakeup takes about 10 seconds ... - Added by Marco Gutsche almost 8 years ago

Hi,

are you using apache with passenger?

Maybe your idle timeout for the passenger modul is set to 20 minutes and after this period a new passenger process has to be created?

RE: Redmine Wakeup takes about 10 seconds ... - Added by Sim Rie almost 8 years ago

Hi,

Yes, I use Apache. But not sure what passenger is. Will check that out.

But I still wonder:

- If I would change the timeout to 2 days, still the first user/customer connecting to the page after timeout would experience the long waiting, right?

I would love to avoid that.

Thank you for your reply!

RE: Redmine Wakeup takes about 10 seconds ... - Added by Marco Gutsche almost 8 years ago

Sim Rie wrote:

Hi,

Yes, I use Apache. But not sure what passenger is. Will check that out.

But I still wonder:

- If I would change the timeout to 2 days, still the first user/customer connecting to the page after timeout would experience the long waiting, right?

I would love to avoid that.

Thank you for your reply!

You can set the timeout to 0 which means that the passenger process will never be closed.

RE: Redmine Wakeup takes about 10 seconds ... - Added by Jan Niggemann (redmine.org team member) almost 8 years ago

Google PassengerPreStart and PassengerMinInstances...

RE: Redmine Wakeup takes about 10 seconds ... - Added by Sim Rie almost 8 years ago

Thanks,

After I got the hint to checkout Passenger, I ran into MinInstances.

Thanks, @Marco and @Jan!

For others which run into the same problem:

• Check this forum post on redmine.org: /boards/2/topics/31783
  • And: Google PassengerPreStart and PassengerMinInstances as Jan suggests!

forum does not accept links, so you have to copy yourself

Greetings

RE: Redmine Wakeup takes about 10 seconds ... [SOLVED] - Added by Terence Mill almost 8 years ago

Would be great if you could write down you complete apache virtual host config and
update howto here

RE: Redmine Wakeup takes about 10 seconds ... [SOLVED] - Added by Sim Rie almost 8 years ago

@Terence,

Yes, I can contribute more, but help me, I do not really get what you want:

What you mean by "update howto"? Your link refers to howto use 2 redmine on 1 host.

What I did here is just adding PassengerMinInstances 1 to apache config file.

RE: Redmine Wakeup takes about 10 seconds ... [SOLVED] - Added by Terence Mill almost 8 years ago

Yes, your are right.

There are many howtos which describe setup with passenger.
Either all of them have to get updated (search "Passenger on HowTos ) , or write a complate new one from scratch on a new site below HowTos.

Tx in advance.

(1-8/8)