better sub project support
I use a lot of sub projects in redmine. Sub-projects don't work nearly as nice as they could. There are a few features that would make sub projects work much nicer.
- be able to inherit settings from parent project. Most notably is members section. Maybe something like a check box that says inherit from parent project disables being able to set it on sub projects.
- email notifications you have to pick each project and it's sub projects. It would be nice if there was a choice for project + all sub projects.
There are a few other things but those two (or just the first) would greatly help.
#2 Updated by Nick Peelman about 12 years ago
- File copy-project.diff added
Nick Peelman wrote:
1. Why not just go under Administration -> Projects, copy the project you want, then set its parent to be the original?
2. I don't understand what you're asking for there…where are you having to pick project / sub-projects for email notifications?
A question for somebody more familiar with the internals than I: Currently the only way to copy a project would be via the Administration menu. Say, for example, a user has permissions to create a new project. Can a project have settings that would prevent that user from duplicating it? Would that be a security risk, if they already have permission to create a new one? If so, the attached patch may require some more permissions code, but would add a Copy button to the left of the New Subproject button. I almost wish there was both a Copy... and a Copy To Subproject... button. Perhaps there's a better way? Or maybe this is best left in the Administration menu...
#3 Updated by James Mahler about 12 years ago
for 1, I don't have admin privileges. I have a "+ New subproject" button on my projects. Instead of a copy, it would be nice if it were to stay linked to the parents so that changes in one place were recursive to sub projects. Not being familiar with copy since I don't have this permission, how deep does the copy go? Does it copy all open issues? Does it copy sub projects? I guess we could try to keep an empty project as a template or something if that's the only option then manually go through all the projects when things need to change.
for 2, When I goto my settings, there's 3 choices for email notifications. Something like "any event on all my projects" which is way too much mail... "For any event on the selected" which is what I use, but you can't do project + sub projects, you must select them all individually... and "watch / involved in" which I'm involved in too many things that I don't care about due to other permission issues.