Debugging for redmine 2.x on ubuntu 13.10

Added by Thomas Kohler almost 4 years ago

Since the upgrade on my ubuntu to version 13.10 I have a problem what need to be debugged. With older versions of redmine I debugged redmine using the mongrel server and the "debugger gem". I don't know if this is ubuntu related but the "script/server" is not available anymore. Therefore I don't know how to debug redmine at the moment. What is the best way to do so?

Replies (2)

RE: Debugging for redmine 2.x on ubuntu 13.10 - Added by Thomas Kohler almost 4 years ago

After some further investigation this is one way to do debugging on redmine 2.3.1 under ubuntu 13.10 (ruby 1.9.3, Rails 3.2.13)

Debugging application with webrick

• webrick (is already installed)
  • "gem install ruby-debug19" seems to be not maintained anymore see: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1083451/debugging-in-ruby-1-9/10414984#10414984, use gem "debugger" instead (for installation instructions see the link above or short description below)
  • Add the keyword "debugger" at the line in your rb file where you want to stop end debug (next, cont etc. are available)
  • stop your apache webserver f.e.: "/etc/init.d/apache2 stop"
  • start your webrick server in your redmine directory, connect to your redmine website (port 3000 is used in my example)
cd /usr/share/redmine
script/rails server webrick -e production -p 3000 --debug

Installation of debugger gem

cd /usr/share/redmine
vi Gemfile

Add one line like so:

source 'https://rubygems.org'
gem 'debugger', group: [:development, :test]

Start your server:

script/rails server webrick -e production -p 3000 --debug

In case of an error occur ...

Could not find gem 'debugger (>= 0) ruby' in the gems available on this machine.
Run `bundle install` to install missing gems.

...do installation like requested:
bundle install

RE: Debugging for redmine 2.x on ubuntu 13.10 - Added by Mischa The Evil almost 4 years ago

FWIW: for debugging on Ruby 2.x I'd recommend the use of Byebug instead.

(1-2/2)