Defect #2838

Swedish chars get mangled in issue when added via email

Added by Fredrik Frodlund almost 9 years ago. Updated almost 8 years ago.

Status:ClosedStart date:2009-02-25
Priority:NormalDue date:
Assignee:-% Done:

0%

Category:Email receiving
Target version:-
Resolution:Duplicate Affected version:0.8.1

Description

Swedish chars (Å,Ä and Ö) gets replaced with 奪 辰 and 旦 when added from email.

Raw sample of a mail:

MIME-Version: 1.0
From: supportform@domain.se
To: support@domain.se
Date: 23 Feb 2009 17:31:39 +0100
Subject: =?utf-8?B?w4XDhMOWIGkgYsO2cmphdCAodGVzdCBudW1tZXIgMjAp?=
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

U3ZlbnNrYSB0ZWNrZW4gaSBiw7ZyamFuIGF2IHN1YmplY3QNCg0KaHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXRy
ZWxhdGlvbnMuc2Uvc3VwcG9ydC9hcmVuZGVuL25ldHJlbGF0aW9ucy8wOTAyMjMtMTczMTM5
LWFhby1pLWJvcmphdC10ZXN0LW51bW1lci0yMC8NCg0KUHJvamVjdDoga29udDUwMDENClBy
aW9yaXRldDogS3JpdGlza3Q=

Platform version information

MySQL: 5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.4-log
Ruby: ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i486-linux]
Rails: Rails 2.2.2
Redmine: Redmine 0.8.1.stable.2521

Somewhat related to #2814

swedish.png (6.22 KB) Jean-Philippe Lang, 2009-02-26 10:08


Related issues

Duplicates Redmine - Defect #3717: Swedish characters get replaced with kanji signs in an is... Closed 2009-08-06

History

#1 Updated by Jean-Philippe Lang almost 9 years ago

I don't have this problem. Here is what I get when running rake redmine:email:read project=redmine < email.txt

Does your database encoding properly set to UTF8 ?

#2 Updated by Fredrik Frodlund almost 9 years ago

I believe so.

  • Default Character Set: utf8
  • Default Collation: utf8_swedish_ci

This worked ok before, so I just bluntly assumed that something changed in an update. :)

#3 Updated by Jean-Philippe Lang almost 9 years ago

I don't see any change to the mail handler that could have affected this behaviour.
Do you know which revision was working ok for you before?

#4 Updated by Fredrik Frodlund almost 9 years ago

Sorry, no. It was back in the 0.7 branch.

#5 Updated by Fredrik Frodlund almost 9 years ago

I also noticed that the chars only gets mangled in the subject, not in the body.

#6 Updated by hell hunter almost 9 years ago

Fredrik Frodlund wrote:

I also noticed that the chars only gets mangled in the subject, not in the body.

Yes, I can confirm this for german "Umlaut"s in the subject. body works perfectly...
Cheers, Antonino

#7 Updated by Fredrik Frodlund almost 9 years ago

I just did a restart of the Ruby-application after a minor update to the latest revision (r2594) and all of a sudden, the chars didn't get mangled! However, after about an hour the problem re-emerged again. This is really weird!

#8 Updated by Fredrik Frodlund over 8 years ago

Is there any more info that I can provide that will assist in the solving of this issue?

#9 Updated by Fredrik Frodlund over 8 years ago

  • Status changed from New to Resolved

This seems to resolved as of r2757. :)

#10 Updated by Fredrik Frodlund over 8 years ago

Seems that this was not resolved after all. It was the same situation as before (a restart of the Ruby application fixed the error temporarily).

#11 Updated by Kolja K. about 8 years ago

Same problem here (0.9 trunk). After some time of running the server, non ascii chars in the subject of mail generated tickets get mangled. Please reopen this issue.

#12 Updated by Fredrik Frodlund about 8 years ago

Kolja K. wrote:

Same problem here (0.9 trunk). After some time of running the server, non ascii chars in the subject of mail generated tickets get mangled. Please reopen this issue.

The bug is still present and another issue was reported by me; #3717.

#13 Updated by Kolja K. about 8 years ago

Update: We've switched the MySQL table encoding from swedish_latin1 to utf8 and so far everything's working.

#14 Updated by Jean-Philippe Lang about 8 years ago

  • Category changed from Email notifications to Email receiving

#15 Updated by Kolja K. about 8 years ago

The problem persists, even if you switch to another table encoding. Pls reopen this issue.

#16 Updated by Fredrik Frodlund about 8 years ago

Please check #3717 instead. Same issue.

#17 Updated by Jean-Philippe Lang almost 8 years ago

  • Status changed from Resolved to Closed
  • Resolution set to Duplicate

Also available in: Atom PDF