Defect #4824

Unable to connect (can't convert Net::LDAP::LdapError into String)

Added by Fritz s over 7 years ago. Updated over 5 years ago.

Status:ClosedStart date:2010-02-13
Priority:NormalDue date:2010-02-17
Assignee:Jean-Philippe Lang% Done:

0%

Category:Ruby support
Target version:1.4.0
Resolution:Fixed Affected version:

Description

I have upgraded to the latest version of redmine and have the current version of ruby installed

[root@systems3 log]# gem list --local

  • LOCAL GEMS ***

actionmailer (2.3.5)
actionpack (2.3.5)
activerecord (2.3.5)
activeresource (2.3.5)
activesupport (2.3.5)
fastthread (1.0.7)
mysql (2.8.1)
passenger (2.2.9)
rack (1.0.1)
rails (2.3.5)
rake (0.8.7)
[root@systems3 log]# ruby -v
ruby 1.9.1p376 (2009-12-07 revision 26041) [x86_64-linux]
[root@systems3 log]#

everything seem to be in order, but i can no longer login to redmine with LDAP authentication...

i get "Unable to connect (can't convert Net::LDAP::LdapError into String)" error.

Any ideas?

There is nothing wrong with my ldap servers, and DNS is resolving correctly on my redmine box (systems3)


Related issues

Blocks Redmine - Feature #4050: Ruby 1.9 support Closed 2009-10-18

History

#1 Updated by Jean-Philippe Lang over 7 years ago

  • Category changed from LDAP to Ruby support
  • Priority changed from Urgent to Normal

Redmine is not yet compatible with ruby1.9. As stated in RedmineInstall, you need 1.8.6 or 1.8.7.
But please attach the error stack so we can have a look at it.

#2 Updated by Fritz s over 7 years ago

Hi Jean-Philippe,

I could not find anything in the httpd/passenger error logs, or the redmine error logs (REDMINEDIR/logs)
seems like whatever the issue is, its not dumping to the standard error logs.

I did downgrade to 1.8.7 and everything is fine now...

#3 Updated by Steve von Takach over 7 years ago

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=24494&group_id=143&atid=631

This seems to be a fix:
I pulled the SVN sources in case it had already been fixed, but it was still failing. The problem stems from two places
in ber.rb:
1) All IO.getc calls need to be replaced with IO.getbyte
2) In 'to_ber_seq_internal', the code "s = self.to_s" no longer works, as Array#to_s has changed to pretty-print
the array contents.

Change self.to_s to self.join

The project otherwise seems to be abandoned - no updates since 2006

#4 Updated by Steve von Takach over 7 years ago

In fact the following is a drop in replacement that will have redmine running with LDAP on Ruby 1.9
http://github.com/RoryO/ruby-net-ldap

#5 Updated by Etienne Massip over 5 years ago

  • Target version set to 1.4.0

Solved in ChiliProject by upgrading vendored ruby-net-ldap (which is not maintained anymore) to net-ldap.

#6 Updated by Jean-Philippe Lang over 5 years ago

  • Status changed from New to Closed
  • Assignee set to Jean-Philippe Lang
  • Resolution set to Fixed

Fixed in r8751.

Also available in: Atom PDF