Defect #16794

plugin update check not working correctly

Added by Tobias Fischer over 3 years ago. Updated almost 3 years ago.

Status:NewStart date:
Priority:NormalDue date:
Assignee:-% Done:

0%

Category:Plugin Request
Target version:-
Resolution: Affected version:2.5.1

Description

hey,

I've latest redmine 2.5.1 installed with several plugins.
I tried plugin update check, but the result wasn't as expected.

For some plugins the check can't find updates as these aren't in the official repository.
For some plugins the check reports a good result and marks the version entry with a green tick icon.

And for some plugin the script links the version number to the correct redmine plugin reposity site but doesn't add the green tick mark.

See "Project Alias" plugin in the screenshot. The version number is linked to http://www.redmine.org/plugins/project_alias where the version information says, that my installed version 0.1.0 is the latest.
However, the green tick mark isn't added by the javascript.

There's no error in the firebug console, but I can see that the script only adds the class "found" to the version span: <span class="icon found">.

But I'd expect <span class="icon found icon-checked">

plugin-updatecheck-incomplete.png (90 KB) Tobias Fischer, 2014-05-03 00:01

firebug_console_ansi.txt Magnifier (10.2 KB) Ivan Rapekas, 2014-07-21 09:47


Related issues

Related to Redmine - Feature #3177: Add "Check for updates" functionality to installed plugins Closed 2009-04-15

History

#1 Updated by Ivan Rapekas over 3 years ago

I am sorry, I cannot find where I should write.

I have installed v2.5.2, when checking for plugin updates, I get an error:

Request-URI Too Large

The requested URL's length exceeds the capacity limit for this server.
Apache Server at 46.4.36.71 Port 80

#2 Updated by Ivan Rapekas over 3 years ago

Ivan Rapekas wrote:

I am sorry, I cannot find where I should write.

I have installed v2.5.2, when checking for plugin updates, I get an error:
[...]

Log is attached.

#3 Updated by Tobias Fischer over 3 years ago

You have to open a new ticket... This is the wrong place!!!!

#4 Updated by Etienne Massip about 3 years ago

  • Related to Feature #3177: Add "Check for updates" functionality to installed plugins added

#5 Updated by Anonymous about 3 years ago

I'm running 2.5.2 (Bitnami stack if that matters), but I don't see any sort of upgrade functionality or notices as per the screenshot above. I've tried with all the default themes and two custom, but I get nothing. I don't see any way to enable or configure it either.. Am I missing something here?

#6 Updated by Tobias Fischer about 3 years ago

Etienne, after you added the relation to #3177 I re-checked my plugins and it seems, this only happens for plugins where the redmine plugin repo entry says that it won't work with whatever redmine version I have currently installed. So there is no callback to the plugin check at all in this case...

#7 Updated by Tobias Fischer about 3 years ago

Andre Greeff wrote:

I'm running 2.5.2 (Bitnami stack if that matters), but I don't see any sort of upgrade functionality or notices as per the screenshot above. I've tried with all the default themes and two custom, but I get nothing. I don't see any way to enable or configure it either.. Am I missing something here?

You should see a "check for updates" link at the bottom left of the plugins page...

#8 Updated by Etienne Massip about 3 years ago

Tobias Fischer wrote:

Etienne, after you added the relation to #3177 I re-checked my plugins and it seems, this only happens for plugins where the redmine plugin repo entry says that it won't work with whatever redmine version I have currently installed. So there is no callback to the plugin check at all in this case...

Do you mean there's no issue ? I checked the code and it looks fine to me, the tick should not be displayed only when the redmine repository find no compatible version at all.

#9 Updated by Tobias Fischer about 3 years ago

Etienne Massip wrote:

Do you mean there's no issue ? I checked the code and it looks fine to me, the tick should not be displayed only when the redmine repository find no compatible version at all.

Yeah, that probably was my intention when I wrote the ticket. I was confused that there wouldn't appear a tick or any icon at all, even though the plugin is available in the redmine repository.
After digging into it 2 days ago, I wouldn't call it a defect anymore, but it could be an enhancement to somehow make clear that the plugin is in the redmine repository but isn't tested with the users redmine version.

#10 Updated by Tobias Fischer about 3 years ago

It would be enough to add kind of a warning icon with a tooltip notice "not officialy supported for your redmine version" in the same way the question mark icon has a tooltip "unknown plugin".

#11 Updated by Anonymous about 3 years ago

Tobias Fischer wrote:

You should see a "check for updates" link at the bottom left of the plugins page...

Thanks for pointing that out, completely missed that link.. Also just saw that cut off a bit at the bottom in the screenshot you posted. :) My apologies for the delay in getting back to you, had a ton on my plate lately, so I only got to look at it again this evening.

It appears to be partially working for me, but up to date plugins don't get a green tick and outdated/unknown extensions are marked appropriately. I also get a popup message each time I check for updates to say "Unable to retrieve plugin informations from www.redmine.org" along with an "Uncaught TypeError: undefined is not a function" in my Chrome console (Windows 7 OS, if that makes a difference here).

Each plugin's td.version > a > span element does get the appropriate .found or .unknown class assigned, but the only icon classes that seem to be added are either icon-warning or icon-help.

Unfortunately I have a few other things to deal with at the moment, but hopefully I'll get a chance to dig into it a bit more in a few days. Not sure if the problem I'm having is the same as this one or not, so at that point I'll either leave a message on this issue or log a new one depending on what I find.

#12 Updated by Tobias Fischer about 3 years ago

Andre Greeff wrote:

I also get a popup message each time I check for updates to say "Unable to retrieve plugin informations from www.redmine.org" along with an "Uncaught TypeError: undefined is not a function" in my Chrome console (Windows 7 OS, if that makes a difference here).

Cannot reproduce that on Windows 7 with latest Chrome with no extensions enabled.

#13 Updated by Anonymous about 3 years ago

Tobias Fischer wrote:

Andre Greeff wrote:

I also get a popup message each time I check for updates to say "Unable to retrieve plugin informations from www.redmine.org" along with an "Uncaught TypeError: undefined is not a function" in my Chrome console (Windows 7 OS, if that makes a difference here).

Cannot reproduce that on Windows 7 with latest Chrome with no extensions enabled.

It may be due to the plugins I have, to be honest I didn't see the point in testing the "check for updates" link without any plugins installed.. This was in my test VM at home (I'm at work at the moment), so I'll check a few things this evening if I get a chance.

#14 Updated by Tobias Fischer about 3 years ago

Andre Greeff wrote:

to be honest I didn't see the point in testing the "check for updates" link without any plugins installed.

Read my post. I didn't wrote "with no plugins installed" – I wrote "Chrome with no extensions enabled".
This means I tested on a plain chrome browser with no chrome addons enabled.

#15 Updated by Anonymous about 3 years ago

Tobias Fischer wrote:

Andre Greeff wrote:

to be honest I didn't see the point in testing the "check for updates" link without any plugins installed.

Read my post. I didn't wrote "with no plugins installed" – I wrote "Chrome with no extensions enabled".
This means I tested on a plain chrome browser with no chrome addons enabled.

Apologies, I misread that part. While that might possibly apply to the console error I got, I don't see how it would apply to the popup message, which seems to come from the update function itself. Either way, I can't check any of this right now since I don't have that VM with me.

#16 Updated by Anonymous about 3 years ago

Strange.. I just tested the "Check for updates" link in a vanilla Chrome and I didn't get the alert message or the console error. Double checked in my standard browser (as I did previously) and again, no alert or error. Not sure what happened there, perhaps I had something cached in my browser that was causing issues and a restart cleared it..? It was going on 11pm when I posted that message.

So you can disregard my statement in comment 11 above; I don't have any errors checking for updates. :)

#17 Updated by Jelly frog about 3 years ago

One problem is if you have your Trac on ssl you can't do a JSONP request against http://www.redmine.org/plugins/check_updates?...
So server-admin need to enable ssl for www.redmine.org and change the function to use the correct protocol.

#18 Updated by Toshi MARUYAMA almost 3 years ago

Jelly frog wrote:

One problem is if you have your Trac on ssl you can't do a JSONP request against http://www.redmine.org/plugins/check_updates?...
So server-admin need to enable ssl for www.redmine.org and change the function to use the correct protocol.

This is fixed by #17722.

Also available in: Atom PDF