% Done for Parent Tasks 
|Target version:||Candidate for next major release|
If I have parent tasks and sub tasks and I use manual (per issue) % done values, then the parent gets the average of the values of the subtasks.
However if I use the option to set % done from status updates then instead of inheriting its % done from the subtasks it takes it from the status attached on the parent task.
In this case 3 of 4 subtasks are finished and the 4th is in progress, yet the parent task remains at 10% because its status is just 'Developing' (which means not much for a container task).
I actually have two separate requests here:
- I think that parent tasks should inherit their done% from the sub tasks in both modes (note that when using per-issue Done% values I do not get the option to pick a value for the parent, it is always computed, so why not for the by-status version too?)
- Rather than average the Done of the child tasks I would prefer to weight them by the estimated time of each subtask, so if I have 2 x 8 hr tasks finished and one 4 hour task not started the parent would be at 80 and not 66%.
#5 Updated by Mischa The Evil almost 5 years ago
- File rm6609-with_done_per_status.png added
- File rm6609-with_done_per_field.png added
- File rm6609-issue_statuses_config.png added
- Category set to Issues
- Status changed from Closed to Reopened
- Resolution deleted (
The behavior given by Ewan in the description is still present on source:/trunk@12577.
The implementation of the done ratio [computed] by issue status option [further referred to as 'the option'] predates the subtasking feature and its behavior has not been changed by the subtasking implementation. Such a change hasn't been discussed as part of subtasking implementation either IIRC.
Considering the scope of the option (and the fact that subtasking isn't computing issue statuses) there can be given arguments against changing the current behavior. One for example is that it would break the pattern of computing the done ratio of the issue based on its status, which is after all the main purpose of the option.
I think this definitely needs some more discussion. Especially from users who are using the option actively in production workflows.
To clarify the issue I'll attach some more screenshots:
|with done ratio by issue field||with done ratio by issue status||issue statuses config|