Desktop app for time tracking

Added by Robert Heath over 13 years ago

Are there any desktop applications for Windows that integrate with Redmine?

Replies (12)

RE: Desktop app for time tracking - Added by Pavel Kalian over 13 years ago

Hi Robert,
I have the same problem so I started a project to build a library encapsulating Redmine and a desktop application for time tracking (and issue reporting in the future). Unlike TimeToTicket for Mac it doesn't access the Redmine database directly but uses it's web interface instead.
It's just a quick hack now but it works for me against Redmine 0.8.3 reasonably well. You can check it at https://sourceforge.net/projects/redmineclient

RE: Desktop app for time tracking - Added by Robert Heath over 13 years ago

I tried running RedmineClient.exe and got the following error:

Description:
  Stopped working

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01:    redmineclient.exe
  Problem Signature 02:    0.2.3407.20170
  Problem Signature 03:    49f97985
  Problem Signature 04:    RedmineClient
  Problem Signature 05:    0.2.3407.20170
  Problem Signature 06:    49f97985
  Problem Signature 07:    6
  Problem Signature 08:    e
  Problem Signature 09:    System.IO.FileNotFoundException
  OS Version:    6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.4
  Locale ID:    1033

Read our privacy statement:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

Any ideas?

RE: Desktop app for time tracking - Added by Brad Beattie over 13 years ago

Pavel Kalian wrote:

It's just a quick hack now but it works for me against Redmine 0.8.3 reasonably well. You can check it at https://sourceforge.net/projects/redmineclient

Until we get an API to talk to Redmine, it's all fairly hackish, yeah?

RE: Desktop app for time tracking - Added by Pavel Kalian over 13 years ago

Robert Heath wrote:

I tried running RedmineClient.exe and got the following error:

[...]

Any ideas?

What .NET version do you have installed? I suppose it's caused by the executable being compiled against .NET 3.5. As long it's not needed, I already changed the dependency to 2.0 in the CVS and will make a 0.2.1 release soon.

RE: Desktop app for time tracking - Added by Pavel Kalian over 13 years ago

Brad Beattie wrote:

Pavel Kalian wrote:

It's just a quick hack now but it works for me against Redmine 0.8.3 reasonably well. You can check it at https://sourceforge.net/projects/redmineclient

Until we get an API to talk to Redmine, it's all fairly hackish, yeah?

Of course a complete API would save a lot of trouble but as I can see from the long running discussion it's nowhere near. Getting the lists is not a problem from the atom feeds (at least with limited amount of data used for testing) but parsing the forms for available values for actions, trackers etc. is really suboptimal. Luckyly Redmine produces valid XHTML most of the time so I can parse it pretty easily. The question is what will be the amount of breakage happening between versions :)

RE: Desktop app for time tracking - Added by Pavel Kalian over 13 years ago

Robert Heath wrote:

I tried running RedmineClient.exe and got the following error:

[...]

Any ideas?

I gave 0.2 a try on a fresh WinXPSP2 with .NET 2.0 and got the same error, so I suppose that the now released 0.2.1 with changed target framework version to 2.0 fixes your problem.

RE: Desktop app for time tracking - Added by Robert Heath over 13 years ago

I have .NET 1.1 and .NET 3.5 SP1 installed. I'm trying to install .NET 2.0 to see if that helps.

RE: Desktop app for time tracking - Added by Robert Heath over 13 years ago

Looks like .NET 2.0 won't install, I assume because I have 3.5 installed already. By the way, I'm running 32-bit Vista SP1 if that helps at all.

RE: Desktop app for time tracking - Added by Carlton Dodd over 13 years ago

Pavel:

Thanks for making this available! Are you planning to release the source code as well?

Thanks again.

-CDodd

RE: Desktop app for time tracking - Added by Pavel Kalian over 13 years ago

Carlton Dodd wrote:

Pavel:

Thanks for making this available! Are you planning to release the source code as well?

Thanks again.

-CDodd

Of course. The source is available in the project SVN repository on Sourceforge (https://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=svn&group_id=260707).

RE: Desktop app for time tracking - Added by Pavel Kalian over 13 years ago

Robert Heath wrote:

Looks like .NET 2.0 won't install, I assume because I have 3.5 installed already. By the way, I'm running 32-bit Vista SP1 if that helps at all.

The .NET Framework 3.5 is just 2.0 with additional libraries so you should be all fine with the dependencies. Very weird. I will try to add some code to handle these global exceptions to the codebase and release 0.2.2 today.

RE: Desktop app for time tracking - Added by Carlton Dodd over 13 years ago

Pavel Kalian wrote:

Of course. The source is available in the project SVN repository on Sourceforge (https://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=svn&group_id=260707).

Thanks! I'm working on convincing my organization to use Redmine to replace Mantis and a bunch of little databases that popped up over the years. Some of the users are used to a desktop client we used for time tracking, so this should help convince them.

I wanted to be able to show the source (like I did for Redmine) to show that the application is safe to use. I also wanted to see the source to use as an example if we want to create something in the future to interface with Redmine (and release back to open source, of course!).

Thanks again for your time and generosity.

CDodd

(1-12/12)