Migrating from one Server to another
i know, this has been discussed many times, but i don't seem to find a concrete summarized information on this, thus i try my luck here...
Our problem is, that we have an old redmine system:
Environment: Redmine version 3.2.8.stable Ruby version 2.3.0-p0 (2015-12-25) [x86_64-linux] Rails version 188.8.131.52 Environment production Database adapter Mysql2 SCM: Mercurial 2.8.2 Git 1.9.1 Filesystem Redmine plugins: additionals 2.0.13 clipboard_image_paste 1.12 nakami_addons 0.0.3 redmine_agile 1.4.6 redmine_closes_resolved_issues 1.0.2_mod redmine_contacts 4.1.2 redmine_contacts_helpdesk 3.0.9 redmine_contacts_invoices 4.1.6 redmine_issue_templates 0.1.1 redmine_percent_done 1.0.0 redmineup_tags 2.0.2 time_logger 0.5.3
There are about 90 active users and something about 100 projects.
We need to migrate this instance (users, projects, issues, assets etc.) to an actual version on another server, because we need to close this old server.
Can someone give me a hit, if this is possible in some way?
I see only this options:
1) Upgrade the current instance to the actual version and then export the whole database and copy the assets.
2) Try to create a second instance of the current version (e.g. clone the current whole server) and use this vm just as an archive for lookups. Then have a completly fresh installtion of the current version and create all the projects, users etc. from scratch manualy.
3) Export and import everything. I didn't find any possibility to do this.
RE: Migrating from one Server to another - Added by Marcel B over 1 year ago
I recently had to face the same problem. My numbers are: 146 projects, 1055 users and 2GB database.
We have an instance running Redmine 3.2.3, Ruby 2.2.2, Rails 4.2 and PostgreSQL 9.
I created another server running Redmine 4, Ruby 2.6.6 and Rails 5.2 and PostgreSQL 12.
All I needed to do was:
- dump Redmine database from the old server
- restore it on the new server.
- run bundle exec rake db:migrate
- run bin/rake redmine:plugins:migrate when needed (home made plugins)
I'm not finished yet (I need to copy all uploaded files and preserve the logs), but I can assure you it worked.
The problem we may face are related to plugins. We have a lot of home made plugins and third part plugins, and they still need some hacking. I recently sent a patch to a third part plugin, too : redmine_maintance_mode (a fix for Rails 5).