Patch #29391

Show version status in Roadmap and Version pages

Added by Marius BALTEANU about 1 year ago. Updated about 1 month ago.

Status:ClosedStart date:
Priority:NormalDue date:
Assignee:Go MAEDA% Done:

0%

Category:Roadmap
Target version:4.1.0

Description

Currently, it is quite hidden and hard to see the version status and because of this, most of our versions remain Open (completed).

Roadmap:

Version show:

Any feedback is welcome, especially on the statuses badge color.

show.png (87.2 KB) Marius BALTEANU, 2018-08-15 21:14

index.png (267 KB) Marius BALTEANU, 2018-08-15 21:18

0001-Move-styles-for-count-and-private-to-a-new-class-nam.patch Magnifier (6 KB) Marius BALTEANU, 2018-12-16 17:05

0002-Show-version-status-as-badge-in-rodmap-index-and-roa.patch Magnifier (4.09 KB) Marius BALTEANU, 2018-12-16 17:05

style.png (199 KB) Marius BALTEANU, 2019-04-04 21:01

0001-New-styles-for-status-badges.patch Magnifier (984 Bytes) Marius BALTEANU, 2019-04-04 21:03

Associated revisions

Revision 18052
Added by Go MAEDA 6 months ago

Move styles for count and private to a new class named 'badge' (#29391).

Patch by Marius BALTEANU.

Revision 18053
Added by Go MAEDA 6 months ago

Show version status as badge in rodmap#index and roadmap#show (#29391).

Patch by Marius BALTEANU.

History

#1 Updated by Marius BALTEANU about 1 year ago

  • Description updated (diff)

#2 Updated by Go MAEDA about 1 year ago

I am in favor of the idea to show the current status of versions. As Marius wrote, it is not easy to know the current status of versions.

But I don't like to use class names such as "light-blue" and "red". Theme developers may define a different appearance for the element. And future versions of Redmine switch the color.

#3 Updated by Marius BALTEANU about 1 year ago

Go MAEDA wrote:

I am in favor of the idea to show the current status of versions. As Marius wrote, it is not easy to know the current status of versions.

But I don't like to use class names such as "light-blue" and "red". Theme developers may define a different appearance for the element. And future versions of Redmine switch the color.

You’re right, I don’t know what was in my head when I made mixed classes. I’ll update the patch.

#4 Updated by Marius BALTEANU about 1 year ago

  • File deleted (0001-Move-styles-for-count-and-private-to-a-new-class-nam.patch)

#5 Updated by Marius BALTEANU about 1 year ago

  • File deleted (0002-show-version-status-as-badge-in-rodmap-index-and-roa.patch)

#6 Updated by Marius BALTEANU about 1 year ago

  • File 0001-Move-styles-for-count-and-private-to-a-new-class-nam.patch added
  • File 0002-show-version-status-as-badge-in-rodmap-index-and-roa.patch added

Updated the patches.

#7 Updated by Go MAEDA about 1 year ago

  • Target version set to Candidate for next major release

#8 Updated by Marius BALTEANU about 1 year ago

  • File 0002-show-version-status-as-badge-in-rodmap-index-and-roa.patch added

Updated the patch to use the same green color from done ratio / version progress bar.

#9 Updated by Marius BALTEANU about 1 year ago

  • File deleted (0002-show-version-status-as-badge-in-rodmap-index-and-roa.patch)

#10 Updated by Go MAEDA about 1 year ago

  • Target version changed from Candidate for next major release to 4.1.0

#11 Updated by Marius BALTEANU 10 months ago

  • File deleted (0001-Move-styles-for-count-and-private-to-a-new-class-nam.patch)

#12 Updated by Marius BALTEANU 10 months ago

  • File deleted (0002-show-version-status-as-badge-in-rodmap-index-and-roa.patch)

#13 Updated by Marius BALTEANU 10 months ago

Update the patches for the current trunk.

The "Private" badge from issue page is rendered inside a h3 element, the versions status is rendered outside the h3 and because of that, the styles differ. We should render also the version status badge inside the "h" element or we should apply some style from h element directly to .badge class in order to have the same "look and feel"?

#14 Updated by Bernhard Rohloff 10 months ago

Marius BALTEANU wrote:

Update the patches for the current trunk.

The "Private" badge from issue page is rendered inside a h3 element, the versions status is rendered outside the h3 and because of that, the styles differ. We should render also the version status badge inside the "h" element or we should apply some style from h element directly to .badge class in order to have the same "look and feel"?

I also agree that things should be handled the same way on every view. As the private badge is also a badge and has nothing to do with the heading at all, my favorite approach would be to take it out of the heading, give the classes "badge" and "private" and align it to the heading by setting the display property of the h3 element to inline-block. That's understandable, clean, and introduces badges as an official design element so that plugins like redmine_tags can rely on.

#15 Updated by Anonymous 10 months ago

+1

#16 Updated by Go MAEDA 8 months ago

Since the status "OPEN" is a very normal status for versions, I think that showing the status "OPEN" is not necessary and showing "CLOSED" and "LOCKED" is enough. I am anxious that the Roadmap page will be filled with many "OPEN" and users may feel those as distractions.

#17 Updated by Marius BALTEANU 7 months ago

Go MAEDA wrote:

Since the status "OPEN" is a very normal status for versions, I think that showing the status "OPEN" is not necessary and showing "CLOSED" and "LOCKED" is enough. I am anxious that the Roadmap page will be filled with many "OPEN" and users may feel those as distractions.

What do you think if we change the badge styles to something less prominent for users?

Personally, I prefer to show all statuses because it's easier for users to scan visually when there are multiple versions with mixed statuses: "Closed, Closed, Open, Open, Locked" vs "Closed, Closed, , , Locked".

#18 Updated by Marius BALTEANU 7 months ago

Bernhard Rohloff wrote:

I also agree that things should be handled the same way on every view. As the private badge is also a badge and has nothing to do with the heading at all, my favorite approach would be to take it out of the heading, give the classes "badge" and "private" and align it to the heading by setting the display property of the h3 element to inline-block. That's understandable, clean, and introduces badges as an official design element so that plugins like redmine_tags can rely on.

Agree, but I'll do it in another ticket.

#19 Updated by Go MAEDA 6 months ago

  • Status changed from New to Closed
  • Assignee set to Go MAEDA

Committed the patch. Thank you for improving Redmine.

#20 Updated by Go MAEDA about 1 month ago

  • Category changed from UI to Roadmap

Also available in: Atom PDF