Defect #4483

LDAP authentication with Redmine doesn't return an error when credentials used to bind to LDAP are incorrect

Added by Joe Heck about 10 years ago. Updated over 5 years ago.

Status:NewStart date:2009-12-24
Priority:NormalDue date:
Assignee:-% Done:


Target version:-
Resolution: Affected version:0.8.7


When incorrect credentials are used in LDAP authentication with Redmine, the search mechanism will always silently fail because the code in 0.8.7 doesn't check for bind success before searching.

I'm using ruby 1.8.5, rails 2.1.2, passenger 2.2.8, redmine 0.8.7, MySQL 5, on RHEL5.

I added the debugging line:

logger.debug "Connection #{ldap_con} bind result was #{ldap_con.bind}" if logger && logger.debug?

to the code at /app/models/auth_source_ldap.rb to identify that the error occuring was incorrect credentials. However, silent failure seems to be a bug, especially since the "test" link on the auth_sources page appeared to work correctly.


#1 Updated by Mischa The Evil about 10 years ago

  • Category set to LDAP

#2 Updated by Yuriy Taraday over 9 years ago

I've just ran over the very same problem. I suggest change code of AuthSourceLdap.test_connection to something like this:

  def test_connection
    ldap_con = initialize_ldap_con(self.account, self.account_password)
    if not ldap_con.bind
      raise "Failed to bind to LDAP server." 
  rescue  Net::LDAP::LdapError => text
    raise "LdapError: " + text

This will make Test button to show error when you provide bad bind credentials, not just write success.

#3 Updated by Alexander Ryabinovskiy over 5 years ago

I confirm, Redmine version 2.5.2.
Only after research in WireShark I saw the error:
LDAPMessage bindResponse(1) invalidCredentials (80090308: LdapErr: DSID-0C090334, comment: AcceptSecurityContext error, data 531, vece)
which means "not permitted to logon at this workstation".
Redmine always reports "Success".

Also available in: Atom PDF