Upgrading from 1.4 to 2.1 vs 2.2

Added by Jared Fine over 7 years ago

I have a Redmine 1.4 install and am considering upgrading it to 2.x. I still need to make sure the plugins are compatible, but assuming they are, which version should I upgrade them to? It seems both versions are on Rails 3.2.11. Would love the some input on this. Thanks!

Replies (6)

RE: Upgrading from 1.4 to 2.1 vs 2.2 - Added by Jan Niggemann (redmine.org team member) over 7 years ago

I'd go for the latest possible version - if plugins permit.

RE: Upgrading from 1.4 to 2.1 vs 2.2 - Added by Ivan Cenov over 7 years ago

These plugins work in our Redmine 2.2.2.stable. However, there is no warranty that they will work in your installation.

I posted outside Redmine site, because it says that the post is spam (may be because the too many URLs in it).

RE: Upgrading from 1.4 to 2.1 vs 2.2 - Added by Jared Fine over 7 years ago

Jan:
That is a good point, may as well go to the most recent version, I'm a bit of a curious OCD person and would still love to see what the differences are.

Ivan:
Awesome list! It's super helpful.

RE: Upgrading from 1.4 to 2.1 vs 2.2 - Added by Jan Niggemann (redmine.org team member) over 7 years ago

Jared, if you would like to know the differences (I take it you mean features), check out the Roadmap, here's a copy & paste of features 2.2 has and 2.1 doesn't:

BTW, 2.3 is due in 14 days. It will bring:

Edit by Mischa The Evil: fixed unwanted macro execution.

RE: Upgrading from 1.4 to 2.1 vs 2.2 - Added by Jared Fine over 7 years ago

Ah, gotcha. So for the most part each version is really just adding features not really breaking backwards compatibility. So if doing a major release upgrade there really isn't much of a reason to not go latest. Thanks Jan!

Jared Fine wrote:

So if doing a major release upgrade there really isn't much of a reason to not go latest. Thanks Jan!

Except for the not-so-rare case that beloved plugins don't always support the latest cutting-edge version ;-)

(1-6/6)