Defect #30787

Other recipients are not listed in To field even if Setting.bcc_recipients is false

Added by Go MAEDA 11 days ago. Updated 2 days ago.

Status:ClosedStart date:
Priority:NormalDue date:
Assignee:Go MAEDA% Done:

0%

Category:Email notifications
Target version:-
Resolution:Wont fix Affected version:4.0.0

Description

In Redmine prior to 4.0, you can see to see all recipients of the notification email in the To field if "Blind carbon copy recipients (bcc)" setting (Setting.bcc_recipients) is false. With this feature, you can know who the notification was sent by the update.

However, this feature is broken in Redmine 4.0. After upgrading to 4.0, only your email address is in the To field and other recipients are not listed there even if Setting.bcc_recipients is false.

Suppose the following issue:

When someone updates the issue, and should receive a notification. The To field in the header should be like the following if Setting.bcc_recipients is false:

To: foo@example.com, bar@example.com

However, in Redmine 4.0, actual To field are like the following. Only the recipient of the message is listed:

(The email that received)

To: foo@example.com

(The email that received)

To: bar@example.com


Related issues

Related to Redmine - Feature #26791: Send individual notification mails per mail recipient Closed
Related to Redmine - Patch #30820: Drop setting "Blind carbon copy recipients (bcc)" New
Blocks Redmine - Feature #8516: Email notifications without the recipient treated as atte... New 2011-06-03

History

#1 Updated by Go MAEDA 11 days ago

  • Blocks Feature #8516: Email notifications without the recipient treated as attempted fraud by mail clients added

#2 Updated by Go MAEDA 11 days ago

  • Related to Feature #26791: Send individual notification mails per mail recipient added

#3 Updated by Marius BALTEANU 10 days ago

Go MAEDA wrote:

In Redmine prior to 4.0, you can see to see all recipients of the notification email in the To field if "Blind carbon copy recipients (bcc)" setting (Setting.bcc_recipients) is false. With this feature, you can know who the notification was sent by the update.

However, this feature is broken in Redmine 4.0. After upgrading to 4.0, only your email address is in the To field and other recipients are not listed there even if Setting.bcc_recipients is false.

I'm not sure that I understand correctly this defect, but the whole idea of #26791 was to send individual notifications which means that each user that receives the notification, will be alone in that email. With the current implementation (which is very desired), it is almost impossible to achieve the behaviour prior to Redmine 4.0.

In my opinion, what we can do here is to drop the setting "Blind carbon copy recipients (bcc)" that doesn't make any sense anymore. I don't see why a user prefers to receive an email as bcc and not to.

#4 Updated by Holger Just 8 days ago

Marius BALTEANU wrote:

In my opinion, what we can do here is to drop the setting "Blind carbon copy recipients (bcc)" that doesn't make any sense anymore. I don't see why a user prefers to receive an email as bcc and not to.

+1

With the new individual emails, this setting is not useful anymore. See also #26791#BCC-recipients :)

It is not possible anymore to see from the email recipients who has received the mail. This was only partially possible previously anyway, since we have already send multiple separate emails depending on issue custom field visibility.

If there is a significant request for retaining the information who got the notification (which in turn would also carefully checked for information leaks), the list of user could be added into the mail body now. I personally don't see this as a necessary feature though (and nobody else I'm aware of implements something something like that for their notifications).

#5 Updated by Marius BALTEANU 7 days ago

  • Status changed from New to Needs feedback
  • Assignee set to Go MAEDA

#6 Updated by Marius BALTEANU 5 days ago

  • Related to Patch #30820: Drop setting "Blind carbon copy recipients (bcc)" added

#7 Updated by Marius BALTEANU 5 days ago

Holger Just wrote:

With the new individual emails, this setting is not useful anymore. See also #26791#BCC-recipients :)

Thanks for pointing to your comment, I've attached a patch to (#30820).

#8 Updated by Marius BALTEANU 5 days ago

Go Maeda, please let us know what it the purpose of this defect.

#9 Updated by Go MAEDA 2 days ago

  • Status changed from Needs feedback to Closed
  • Resolution set to Wont fix

The option was useful because users who got notifications can see who receives the notification (related to #6813).

Although we lost the feature in 4.0, I think we should accept it as a trade-off for #26791.

#10 Updated by Marius BALTEANU 2 days ago

Go MAEDA wrote:

The option was useful because users who got notifications can see who receives the notification (related to #6813).

Partially true, please see Holger note. If we really need this feature, it should be implemented in Redmine.

Although we lost the feature in 4.0, I think we should accept it as a trade-off for #26791.

Thanks!

Also available in: Atom PDF