Replacement for the removed Discord chat.

Added by Bernhard Rohloff about 1 year ago

Hey folks,

today I was asked by Martina Adler if the Discord channel is not existing any longer. So I opened Discord and realized that this indeed, seems to be the case. I don't know the background or reasons for shutting down the chat but I have to say that for me it was a very viable communication channel and I think we should keep and continue our discussions on a comparable modern chat platform. IRC seems a bit outdated and not very attractive for newcomers.

What do you think?

  • Should we create another official/unofficial chat to discuss our software and community topics?
  • Should we try to stay on IRC as it's the official chat?

I would have asked this questions on Discord but it seems I'm a bit too late.

Replies (11)

RE: Replacement for the removed Discord chat. - Added by Go MAEDA about 1 year ago

I think it would be great and quite a good place if someone launch a Discord server without Max Johansson, the owner of the former server.

RE: Replacement for the removed Discord chat. - Added by Marius BALTEANU 12 months ago

Discord or should we try another solution? Like Slack or Gitter which already have some integrations in place?

RE: Replacement for the removed Discord chat. - Added by Bernhard Rohloff 12 months ago

Marius BALTEANU wrote:

Discord or should we try another solution? Like Slack or Gitter which already have some integrations in place?

Since I've not very much experience with either system I'm quite open to alternative chat solutions.
Redmine was the only community I've joined on Discord so it's no big deal for me to change it.

RE: Replacement for the removed Discord chat. - Added by Bernhard Rohloff 12 months ago

Should the chat concentrate more on development topics, or should it also include casual topics like Max's Discord community has done it? What's your opinion on that?

RE: Replacement for the removed Discord chat. - Added by Marius BALTEANU 12 months ago

Bernhard Rohloff wrote:

Should the chat concentrate more on development topics, or should it also include casual topics like Max's Discord community has done it? What's your opinion on that?

Well, I'm more in favour of topics related to Redmine (development, help, plugins) and if people found a common topic, they can start a new room/channel. Let's give a chance to Slack, I will get back to you with an invitation.

RE: Replacement for the removed Discord chat. - Added by David Doležal 11 months ago

Discord was OK for me. Why not to use it again? :-) And if is possible, I prefere two channels.

One for development topics, where you can share news about developing
Second as "help" channel for us beginners.

For example: I try to find solution for redmine notification delivery. I need to be 100% sure, that notification is OK delivered in recipient's mailbox.

RE: Replacement for the removed Discord chat. - Added by Marius BALTEANU 11 months ago

David Doležal wrote:

Discord was OK for me. Why not to use it again? :-) And if is possible, I prefere two channels.

One for development topics, where you can share news about developing
Second as "help" channel for us beginners.

For example: I try to find solution for redmine notification delivery. I need to be 100% sure, that notification is OK delivered in recipient's mailbox.

We switched to Slack, you can use this link: https://join.slack.com/t/redmineorg/shared_invite/zt-cai4czxe-wzRbARcXk6otbjJgwhS5zw

RE: Replacement for the removed Discord chat. - Added by Sérgio Lopes 11 months ago

Hi,

Could you provide another link, that one seems to have expired; or is the Slack channel not in use?

RE: Replacement for the removed Discord chat. - Added by Marius BALTEANU 11 months ago

Sérgio Lopes wrote:

Hi,

Could you provide another link, that one seems to have expired; or is the Slack channel not in use?

Here it is: https://join.slack.com/t/redmineorg/shared_invite/zt-d9ke6b69-pJYY_r3gPN7i~DICj3_7wQ

RE: Replacement for the removed Discord chat. - Added by Go MAEDA 8 months ago

Marius BALTEANU wrote:

Sérgio Lopes wrote:

Hi,

Could you provide another link, that one seems to have expired; or is the Slack channel not in use?

Here it is: https://join.slack.com/t/redmineorg/shared_invite/zt-d9ke6b69-pJYY_r3gPN7i~DICj3_7wQ

The link is expired. Here is a new link:
https://join.slack.com/t/redmineorg/shared_invite/zt-ew74bkww-9~Cs~L2oSioRXDljumZ_zg

RE: Replacement for the removed Discord chat. - Added by Bernhard Rohloff 3 months ago

Today I realized that our Slack channel is not advertised on the landing page of redmine.org. This makes it hard to find for visitors.
@Go MAEDA what do you think? Shall we add the Slack channel to the page as we have done it with the Discord channel in the past?

(1-11/11)